Rajahmundry was one of the biggest cities in South India in the 19th century.
It was the hotbed of several movements during India's freedom struggle and acted as a base for many key leaders.
The Rajahmundry district was reorganised in 1859, bifurcated into the Godavari and Krishna districts.
During British rule, Rajahmundry was the headquarters of Godavari district.
When the district was split into East and West, Kakinada became the headquarters of East Godavari.
Rajahmundry is acclaimed as the birthplace of the Telugu language — its grammar and script evolving from the pen of the city-born poet, Nannayya.
Godavari district was further bifurcated into East and West Godavari districts in 1925.
Rajamahendravaram was renamed Rajahmundry during the rule of the British, for whom the city was the headquarters of the Godavari district.
The first widow remarriage took place on 11 December 1881.Remains of 11th century palaces and forts still exist.However, new archaeological evidence suggests that the town may have existed much before the Chalukyas.The place is now the Ayakar Bhavan (Income Tax Office).Independence movement and Rajahmundry: (1885–1905 AD) Vande Mataram Movement was started in the year 1905 against the partition of Bengal.